I refuse to make New Year’s Resolutions. There are a couple reasons, really. For one, they tend to be open ended, like lose weight, read more, spend more time with family, etc. For another, I can rarely really get anything accomplished without a little competition, and what better competition than myself? I set my goals for 2013 somewhere around June, I think, so I’ve got a 5 month jump on me from last year!
With that said, here are some of my goals for 2014. We’ll see how many of these I manage to accomplish by this time next year.
1. Watch 100 new movies. New to me, that is. There’s a very big chance that 2014 is the year I risk my film degree and let the world know that I haven’t actually watched a lot of the so-called “greatest movies ever made”. I’ll attempt to rectify that as much as possible, while still giving myself the chance to watch some random nonsense along the way. If you’re wondering why the number is so low, it’s because I tend to spend the majority of my time watching TV shows, and they take up a hell of a lot more time than any movie.
2. Read 30 new books. Again, new to me. I’m starting with The Outsiders and American Gods, and they are by no means “new books”. The other half of this goal is that 26 of those books will correspond with the letters of the alphabet. You can follow my progress with this one here.
3. Write in this blog at least once per week. Not sure how I’m going to do with this one, because I’m notoriously bad at sticking to these writing goals. I write for a much bigger site on a regular basis, so I just need to work this one into that schedule. By the way, you should totally be reading All Geek to Me.
4. Finish a manuscript or screenplay. Just one. Just a first draft. Just so I know I can.
5. Participate in NaNoWriMo. I don’t need to win. I just think I should make the effort. A real effort, not just signing up and letting it sit there.
6. Start freelancing. I think that’s pretty self-explanatory, but if you’d like to hire me, I’d be willing to listen.
7. Tweet once a day, and figure out how the hell Tumblr works. I’d prefer to get more active on all my social media platforms, but I think this is a decently simple goal to start. Follow me on Twitter and Tumblr to see if I manage it.
Okay, I think that’s it. I think that will make for a pretty busy 2014.
What are some of your goals for this year?